ಸದೋದಿತೋ ಜ್ಞಾನಮರೀಚಿಮಾಲೀ |
ವ್ಯಾಸಾವತಾರೋ ಹರಿರಾತ್ಮಭಾಸ್ಕರ: ||
ಸಂಸಿಚ್ಯಮಾನಮಮೃತೋರುಘಟೈ: ಸುರೇಶೈ: |
ಪಂಚಾಶತಾ ಪ್ರತಿಗಿರಂತಮಶೇಷವಿದ್ಯಾ: ||
ವ್ಯಾಸಾಯ ಭವನಾಶಾಯ ಶ್ರೀಶಾಯ ಗುಣರಾಶಯೇ |
ಹೃದ್ಯಾಯ ಶುದ್ಧವಿದ್ಯಾಯ ಮಧ್ವಾಯ ಚ ನಮೋ ನಮ: |
Vaishaka Shudda Trayodashi is the Janma dina of Sri Vedavyasaru. It is called as “Vedavavyasa Jayanthi”. Sri Vedavyasaru has born on five occasions.
They are :-
- Vaishaka Shudda Trayodashi
- Vaishaka Pournami
- Ashada Pournami
- Kartheeka Pournami
- Magha Pournami
Sri Vedavyasaru was born on five occasions in different period :-
- Vaivaswata Manvantara’s Third Dwapara yuga,
- Seventh Dwdapara yuga,
- Sixteenth dwapara yuga,
- Twenty fifty dwapara yuga,
- Twenty eighth Dwapara yuga.
- Other names of Sri Vedavyasaru –
- Vedavyasaru is also called as “Krishna Dwaipayana” , “Vasista Krishna”, “Badarayana” , “Satyavathi Sutha” and “Parashara Soonu”
- He was called as Krishna Dwaipayana – When he was born, Vedavyasa’s complexion was dark and therefore he was referred as Krishna and the couple had the child on one of the islands (dweepa) of Yamuna River. That is how he got the name Krishna Dwaipayan.
- The island was covered by Badara (Indian jujube) trees, so he was also known as Badarayana.
- He is called as Vedavyasa as he divided the Vedas into four.
- He is the Paramathma’s avataara with vast literary and missionary accomplishments.
- It was he who complied the Vedas into four – Rig, Yajur, Sama and Atharvanaveda and it is this astounding effort that gave him the title Veda Vyasa.
He wrote the 18 Puranas (main epics) viz.,
- Brahma Purana
- Padma Purana
- Vishnu Purana
- Shaiva Purana
- Bhagwata Purana
- Narayana Purana
- Markandeya Purana
- Agni Purana
- Bhavishyottara Purana
- Brahma Vaivarta Purana
- Linga Purana
- Varaha Purana
- Skanda Purana
- Vamana Purana
- Kurma Purana
- Matsya Purana
- Garuda Purana
- Brahmanda Purana
Out of the 18 puranas,
six are Sattvika Puranas and glorify Vishnu ; —
They tell about Vishnu Sarvottamatva, – Vishnu Purana, Naradiya Purana, Padma Purana, Garuda Purana, Varaha Purana, and Bhagavatha Purana are Sattvika Puranas.
six are Rajasa and glorify Lord Brahma; —
-Brahmanda Purana, Brahmavaivarta Purana, Markandeya Purana, Bhavishya Purana, Vamana Purana, Brahma Purana are Rajasic Puranas.
six are Tamasa and they glorify Lord Shiva – Matsya Purana, Kurma Purana, Linga Purana, Shiva Purana, Skanda Purana and Agni Purana are Tamasic Puranas.
18 Upa-Puranas (subsidiary epics) and is the author of the grandest and largest epic – the Mahabharat which contains the Bhagawad Geeta -one of the greatest scriptures of the world.
He is also the author of the “Bhagavata Purana” and the “Brahma Sutras”. But for him, we would not have had so vast a range of Hindu literature.