Sri Raghuttama Tirtharu(Uttaradi Mutt)(14th in the parampare) Vrundavana @ Tirukoiluru(TN)
This place is also known as “Pancha Krishnaranya Kshetra”. Swamiji had ordered a Zamindar of Tiruvannamalai in a dream to construct his Vrundavana at a specified place. The moola Vrundavana of Sri Raghottama Tirtharu, like Sri Brahmanya Tirtharu and Sripadarajaru is also not having any top cover. Even when some people tried to cover the vrundavana, they got dream not to cover the same.
Taratamya Stotra by Raghottamaru – Click
raGUttamamunIn vidyaagurUn paragurUmstathaa |
vandE shrImadhvashaastrOtthavinirmalamatInaham |
Alankruta Vrundavana paaduke of Raghuttamaru
Aradhana – Pushya Shudda Ekadashi
Vrundavana – Tirukoilore (Near pinaki river)
Mruttika Vrundavanas : Bangalore Uttaradimutt and at Chennai Navavrundavana
Ashrama Sweekara – 1556
Peetadhipathitva Period – 1557-1595 (Approx 38 Years)
He was a baala sanyaasi (Took sanyasa without entering Gruhastashrama)
(After him it is Sri Satyatmaru who has taken baala sanyasashrama in UM)
Vidya Gurugalu –Sri Raghuvarya Tirtharu & Sri Aadya Varadacharyaru
Ashrama Gurugalu – Sri Raghuvarya TirtharuAshrama Shishyaru 1 – Sri Raghupathi Tirtharu (For a short period, as he entered vrundavana at an early age).
Ashrama Shishyaru 2 – Sri Vedavyasa Tirtharu (Penagonda)
Ashrama Shishyaru 3 – Sri Vedesha Tirtharu
(But he didn’t accepted the peetadhipathva, He went on teaching his disciples and one of his shishya Sri Yadavaryaru, who has done the commentary on Bhagavatha and many works)
Poorvashrama name – Sri Ramacharyaru
Parents – Sri Subbabhatta & Smt Gangabaiಸಮಕಾಲೀನರು – ಶ್ರೀವಿಜಯೀಂದ್ರರು, ಶ್ರೀವಾದಿರಾಜರು bhaavabhoda – His Tippanis are called as “Bhavabodha”. That is why he is called as Bhavabodhakararu.
- Sri Raghupathi Tirtharu
- Sri Vedesha Tirtharu
- Tarangini Ramacharyaru
- Rotti VenkaTadri BhaTTaru
- Ananda Bhattarakaru.
Vrundaavana varNane –
yadvRundaavanapUrvata: phalavatI dhaatrI jagatpaavanI |
yaamyyaayaam tu pinaakinI chaladalO mUrtitrayaadhiShTita: |
vaaruNyaam dishi vaamata: pratikRutou Chaayaa kRutaa tintriNI |
tadvRundaavanamadhyagO guruvarO bhUyana: shrEyasE |
Sri Raghottama Vrundavana Sannidhya –
To the East of Vrundavana, there is Dhatri tree, to the south Pinakini River mattu shrI trivikrama dEvara saannidhya, to the west Ashwatha vruksha and to the north Tamarind tree which never allow shadows on the Vrundavana.
We can further see swamiji’s mother face fixed to the Vrundavana as a mark of his special respects to his mother. Once when he was doing the rama pooja. all the dikpaalakaas were viewing the pooja by the swamiji. His mother got afraid to see Yama, one of the dikpaalaka. So, Raghottamaru requested the dikpalakas to disappear, so they did. As such, Swamiji’s mother face is carved to the vrundavana.
Decoration of Vrundavana –
It is observed that the vrundavana will NOT be daily decorated. Only on the aradhana day the vrundavana will be decorated with various flowers. During normal days, first they will cover the Brindavana with wet Shaati(cloth) and they will finish whole Puja before the Shaati gets dried . Once it dries they will remove the alankara this is proves that he gives less significance towards worldly showiness.
ಶ್ರೀ ರಘೋತ್ತಮರ ವೃಂದಾವನ ಸಾನ್ನಿಧ್ಯ – ಪೂರ್ವದಿಕ್ಕಿಗೆ ಫಲಭರಿತವಾದ ಧಾತ್ರಿಗಿಡವಿದೆ, ದಕ್ಷಿಣದಲ್ಲಿ ಜುಳು ಝುಳು ಹರಿಯುವ ಪಿನಾಕಿನಿ ನದೀತೀರದಲ್ಲಿ ತ್ರಿವಿಕ್ರಮದೇವರ ದೇವಸ್ಥಾನವಿದೆ. ಪಶ್ಚಿಮದಲ್ಲಿ ಬ್ರಹ್ಮ ವಿಷ್ಣು ಮಹೇಶ್ವರರ ಸಾನ್ನಿಧ್ಯವಿರುವ ಅಶ್ವತ್ತವೃಕ್ಷವಿದ್ದರೆ, ಉತ್ತರದಲ್ಲಿ ಹುಣಿಸೇಮರವಿದೆ.
Sri Raghottama Tirthara Granthas:
- Tatvaprakashika Bhavabodha
- BruhadaaraNyakopanishad Bhavabodha
- VishNu Tatva NirNaya Teekabaavabodha
- Geetha Bhashya Prameya Deepika Bhavabodha
- Sanyayavivruthi Bhavabodha
- Anuvyakyana Nyayamala Brahmasootra sambandha pradeepa
- Taratamya Stotram
- Tithitraya VinirNaya
- ShravaNa Dwadashi NirNaya
Please click for Kannada Version on Raghottama Tirtharu :-
Raghuvaryaru blessing the parents of Raghottamaru Sri Subbabhattaru and his wife.
Subbabhattaru offering the new born child to Raghuvaryaru as samarpana for the peetha
His parents had no issues for a long period. Once Sri Raghuvarya Tirtharu had been to their place @ SwarnavaaTi. Sri Subbabhatta and his wife approached the swamiji for a bhiksha in their house. But the swamiji refused saying they did not have any issues. But the dampatigalu pleaded very much with the swamiji for coming to their house, which Sri Raghuvaryaru accepted with a condition that the child born to be handed over to the Mutt only. The Brahmana dampatigalu agreed. After some time, they got a good male child, which was handed over to the Mutt. The Child was brought up from the abhisheka milk only.
He got his initial education from Sri Raghuvarya Tirtharu only. Subsequently when Sri Raghuvaryaru was aged, he advised Sri Adya Varadacharyaru to teach him. Even though Sri Adya Varadacharyaru was a gruhasta brahmana, he was called as “ಬಿಳಿ ಶಾಟಿ ಸ್ವಾಮಿಗಳು” as he was doing the pooja like a samsthana pooja. Once it so happened that a gruhasta brahmana had invited Sri Raghottama Tirtharu for a bhiksha to his house on a dwadashi. But Swamiji came late as he had to complete nitya japa by few minutes. By that time Sri Adya Varadacharyaru (Gurugalu of Swamiji) told the Gruhasta brahmana to serve the bhojana to other brahmanas, as dwadashi is getting late.
Sri Adya Varadacharyaru had some ahankara as he was the gurugalu of swamiji. When Swamiji came there all others were eating, before swamiji. Sri Raghottamaru got upset with the behaviour of his vidya gurugalu Sri Adya Varadacharyaru and returned without taking any bhojana. Swamiji pleaded Srihari to make him free from the shishyatva of Adya Varadacharyaru, as he was not unhappy with the behaviour of his guru.
On the same night Srihari came in his dream in the roopa of Sri Raghuvarya Tirtharu and wrote Saraswathi Bheejakshara mantra in his tongue and asked him to teach to his disciples. By this he had got complete Jnaana and he was able to teach almost all the subjects to his disciples.
Revolution in the system of Bhiksha –
Earlier there was a practice that the sanyasi or the peetadhipathi used to go to various houses for their Bhikshe. This was an age old tradition that the bhikshu used to get their bhikshe for their daily requirements. Sri Raghottama Tirtharu changed the practice of daily bhikshu and started a new practice that a separate cooking to be arranged for the naivedya, hastodaka and for the Peethadhipathigalu. Whoever does the Bhikshe, the same should be done in the Mutt system only. The items cooked in the special cooking room for the bhagavanta to be done naivedya, hastodaka and the seer used to take the same naivedya for his bhojana. This practice ensured pure shuchitva in the preparation for srihari naivedya. The same system is being followed by almost all yathis/peetadhipathis now.
Sri Raghuttama Tirtha pratistita Mukyaprana @ Srirangam
- Revolution in Sanchaara (tour) –
In the earlier practice, the Mathadhipathigalu himself used to carry the pooja box (devara pettige) on his shoulders, carry danda, and his sanchara used to be by foot only. Raghottama Tirtharu started sitting on Chariot of horse, elephant, etc to carry pooja box, and his servants used to accompany the seer.
- Near Anegondi, when requested by a dumb boat runner (ambiga), he gave him kamandalodaka and mantrakshate, and he was able to talk. Even today so many dumb people are doing seva in front of the vrundavana and getting Vak Shakthi.
- One brahmana was loosing all his children immediately after their birth and his wife had became insane. After Sri Raghottama Tirtharu gave him mantrakshate, his wife got back to normalcy and delivered a dheergayushya child also.
- Recently in 19th cetury, one Sri Anjali Acharyaru got parshyavayu disease and he came to Tirukoilore to do the seva of Raghottama Tirtharu. After he did the seva in Tirukoilore, his disease was removed and he got to normalcy.
- One British Officer who was in charge of construction of bridge, had planned to demolish the Vrundavana for the sake of construction of the bridge. He got a dream and was instructed to stop the construction. He did so. He was not having any issues, but as a result of obeying the instructions of Raghottamaru, he got putra prapthi.
- One king who had lost his kingdom after a war, got back after doing the seva of Raghottama Tirtharu
- One who had scolded Sri Raghottama Tirtharu had lost his tongue, and he was facing his death, he regretted and did the seva near the Vrundavana, got back his tongue and he became normal after some time.
Location of Vrundavana –
Pt. Anandatirthachar Chimmalgi,
Sri Sri Raghuthamma Swamy Moola Brindavana,
Manampoondi (Tirukoilur) – 605759,
Dist : Villupuram, Tamilnadu.
Phone : 04153 224690 /91 9442865395
Places and other temples in/Near/on the way to/from Tirukoilore (For Tourists)
- Sri Anjaneya Temple – About 1/2 km
- Sri Trivikrama Temple – About 1/2 km
- Sri Satyanatha Tirtharu – @ Veeracholapuram (12 km)
- Sri Annamalaishwara @ TiruvaNNamalai – 36 km
- Sri Satya Vijaya Tirtha and Sri Satyaveera Tirtharu@ Satyavijayanagar (arani) 75 km
- Sri Navavrundavana @ Rayavellore – about 75 kms
- Srimushnam – Bhoovarahaswami – about 50 kms
- Sri Yoga narasimha sannidhana @ Sholingar – about 90 kms
- Kumbakona, Srirangam, Bhuvanagiri are about 100 – 150 kms from Tirukoilore.
(Source: Sri Vyasanakere Prabhanjanacharya’s book on Sri Raghottama Tirtharu & other books) (Source : RAGHUVARYARU JEEVANACHARITE PHOTOS FROM collection of Mr Charu Deshna = source unknown)