“ಧಾತ್ರಿ ಹವನ” “Dhatri Havana” - Vana Bhojana “ವನಭೋಜನ”
ದಿನಾಂಕ – 05.11.2014 ಸಮಯ – ಬೆಳಿಗ್ಯೆ 9.30ಕ್ಕೆಸುಮಧ್ವಸೇವಾ ಸಮಿತಿ ಟ್ರಸ್ಟ್ (ರಿ)
ಶಾಕಾಂಬರಿನಗರ, ಬನಶಂಕರಿ ದೇವಸ್ಥಾನದ ಎದುರು
ಮೊದಲನೇ ಮುಖ್ಯ ರಸ್ತೆ, ರಾಯರ ಮಠ ರಸ್ತೆ, ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು – 560070 Venue : Sri Sumadhwa Seva Samithi Trust (R) Raghavendra Swamigala Mutt I Main, Rayara Mutt Road, Shakambari Nagar, Bangalore – 560070 Telephone – 65700759
Those who wish to contribute for the Dhatri Havana may send through : For Karteeka Deepotsava Rs. 100/- For Vanabhojana Rs. 500/-
|Account Name||Sumadhwa Seva Samithi Trust|
|SB A/c No||007400101033408|
After online transfer of funds, please send an email to Naraharisumadhwa@ Yahoo.in
Please also inform the Gotra, Nakshatra====================================================
- What is Dhatri Havana ?
Doing the pooja of Dhatri – Nellikayi Tree (Amalika) during Karteeka Maasa with the pooja of Karteeka Damodara with Shodachopachaara with Jageery-Tovve-Ghee with Dhatri Namana mantra – Homa etc- afterwards Brahmins and Suvaasinis are fed in the open place near that tree. By doing Vana Bhojana during this month one would get rid of the evil of eating Paraanna Bhojana. Unlike other Vrathas, this Vratha to be done alongwith other Vaishnava Bandhavaas.
ಕಾರ್ತೀಕಮಾಸದಲ್ಲಿ ಧಾತ್ರಿಯನ್ನು (ನೆಲ್ಲಿಕಾಯಿಯನ್ನು) ಉಪಯೋಗಿಸಿ ಶ್ರೀ ರಾಧಾದಾಮೋದರನಿಗೆ ಶೋಡಚೋಪಚಾರ ಪೂಜೆಯನ್ನು ಮಾಡಿ, ಹೋಮಿಸಿ, ಬ್ರಾಹ್ಮಣ ಸುವಾಸಿನಿಯರಿಗೆ ಭೋಜನ ನೀಡಬೇಕು. ಧಾತ್ರೀಹೋಮದವರೆಗೂ ಹೊಸ ನೆಲ್ಲಿಕಾಯಿಯನ್ನು ಉಪಯೋಗಿಸುವಂತಿಲ್ಲ. ಧಾತ್ರೀಹವನ ಭೋಜನ ಮಾಡದವರ ಚಾತುರ್ಮಾಸ್ಯವ್ರತ ಅಪೂರ್ಣವೆನ್ನಿಸುವುದು.
- When is the “Dhatri Havana” or “Vana Bhojana” conducted ?
– Vanabojana is usually done on Karthika Shudda Trayodashi, Chaturdashi, Poornime, upto Karthika Bahula Panchami. Dhatri – Nellikayi not to be eaten on Saptami and Sunday, Tuesday and Friday. As such, Dhatri Havana will not be done on Sunday, Tuesday and Friday and Saptami. We can use the new Nellikai only after the Dhatri Havana. i.e., samarpana of Dhatri to Srihari. This Vratha is most preferred on Vaikunta Chaturdashi day.
ಕಾರ್ತೀಕ ಶುಕ್ಲ ತ್ರಯೋದಶಿಯಿಂದ ಪ್ರಾರಂಭಿಸಿ, ಕಾರ್ತೀಕ ಕೃಷ್ಣ ಪಂಚಮಿಯವರೆಗೆ ಧಾತ್ರಿಹವನಕ್ಕೆ ಉತ್ತಮ ಪಕ್ಷ. ಸಪ್ತಮಿ, ಮಂಗಳವಾರ, ಶುಕ್ರವಾರ ಮತ್ತು ಭಾನುವಾರಗಳಂದು ಧಾತ್ರಿಹವನ ನಿಷಿದ್ಧ. ಧಾತ್ರಿ ಭಕ್ಷಣ ರಾತ್ರಿಕಾಲದಲ್ಲಿ ಸರ್ವಕಾಲಕ್ಕೂ ನಿಷಿದ್ಧ. ಈ ವ್ರತವನ್ನು ಒಂಟಿಯಾಗಿ ಮಾಡದೆ ವೈಷ್ಣವಬಂಧುಬಾಂಧವರೊಂದಿ ಮಾಡಲೇಬೇಕು. ವೈಕುಂಠಚತುರ್ದಶಿ ದಿನ ಅತ್ಯಂತ ಪ್ರಶಸ್ತವಾದ ಕಾಲ.
- Where to the Dhatri Havana?
We have to do the Havana under the shadow of Dhatri Vruksha. Now a days Dhatri Vruksha may not be available everywhere, so we have to atleast bring some root part of dhatri plant and plant it in the place, and do the pooja. ಧಾತ್ರಿಹವನವನ್ನು ನೆಲ್ಲಿ ಮರದ ಕೆಳಗೆ ಮಾಡಬೇಕು. ಅಕಸ್ಮಾತ್ ನೆಲ್ಲಿ ಮರವು ಇಲ್ಲದಿದ್ದರೆ ಕನಿಷ್ಟ ಧಾತ್ರಿಯ ಒಂದು ಶಾಖೆಯನ್ನು ತಂದಾದರೂ ನೆಟ್ಟು ಅದರಲ್ಲೇ ಅನುಸಂಧಾನಪೂರ್ವಕವಾಗಿ ಮಾಡತಕ್ಕದ್ದು. “Vana” refers to place where Dhatri Vruksha is surrounded by mango, baka, ashwatta, kadamba, Tamarind trees.
- What is the Benefit of Dhatri Havana?
– Vana Bhojana “ವನಭೋಜನ”- By doing Dhatri Havana the dosha which has generated on us by doing bhojana in other’s house (paranna bhojana) , eating Shanda’s house, and eating of Marjara, dustanna bhojana, etc will be removed. ಇದನ್ನು ರಾಜಸೂಯ ಯಾಗಕ್ಕೆ ಸಮಾನವಾದ ಪುಣ್ಯಕರ ಕಾರ್ಯವೆಂದು ಪಂಚರಾತ್ರ ತಿಳಿಸಿದೆ. ಧಾತ್ರೀವನಭೋಜನದಿಂದ ನಾವು ಮಾಡಿದ ದುಷ್ಟಾನ್ನ ಭೋಜನದ ಪಾಪವೆಲ್ಲವೂ ನಾಶವಾಗುವುದು
- What is Dustanna ?
Bhojana which we had done from Avaishnava people (other than Vaishnavas) is termed as “Dustanna”. Eg – Eating in Hotel, Mess Meals, Eating in the house of Soothaka, eating the food given by chandalaru, etc. Seeing Sootaki, Shanda, Marjara, Kukkata, Patita, Aviddha are also prohibited. Seeing the below mentioned people also is prohibited :
- “Sootaki” “ಸೂತಕಿ” – refers to Brahmana Stree who is not a pativrate, and men who have not maintained their brahmacharya. The food given by them are prohibited.
- “Shanda” “ಷಂಡ”– refers to not only hermaphrodite (napunsaka – the person without any gender), those who never does Vaishwadeva homa, who does not do regular snaana-daana, pitrushraddha, nitya pooja, are also termed as Shandaru.
- “Marjara”“ಮಾರ್ಜಾರ”- Those who are doing Yajna, Tapassu, snaana, daana only for show and who does not do it for para loka saadhana are termed as Marjara.
- “Rats” “ಇಲಿ”– Rats refers to those who inspite of having sufficient property and not utilizing for the daana , dharma, and are lobhis.
- Kukkuta – Hen “ಕುಕ್ಕುಟ”- One who is doing partiality in the pandita sabha. Eg., When many pundits are in the platform, doing namana only to the guru which amount disrespect to other pundits – he will be termed as hen.
- “patita” “ಪತಿತ” – One who leaves his dharma and joins other dharma will be termed as “patita”. Similarly one who leaves sanyasashrama and drops to gruhastashrama will be termed as “Patita”. We must never see such patita at all. But in the present day sceneria, there will be many such people.
- “Aviddha” “ಅವಿಧ” – One who has done Brahmana hatye, vipraninde, stree ninde is termed as “Aviddha”.
- “Nagna”“ನಗ್ನ”- A Brahmana, who does not do Vedadhyayana, Shastra adhyayana, is termed as “Nagna”.
- Not observing Chaturmasya–
During Chaturmasya, we must not eat the food items which are against Srihari’s wishes. During the first month of Chaturmasya if we are not observing, it will lead to eating bones, the second month if we eat curds it leads to eating gomaamsa, in the third month drinking/using milk leads to drinking alcohol and in the fourth month if we eat dwidala it leads to eating insects.
- What is the Phala (benefit) of Dhatrihavana ?
- We may have eaten in the above people’s house or at their cost in some places, or we may have taken dakshine from these people. Eating in these people’s house refers to “Dustanna”. These sins will be forfeited by taking bhojana in Vanabhojana. It is called as “Dhatri Havana Bhojana”. All those doshas will be destroyed by attending or doing Dhatri Havana. Further, during Chaturmasya due to some constraints we may not have done the Vratacharane fully. That Vratalopa dosha also would be removed.
We will get the phala of doing thousands of Ashwamedha phala and hundreds of Vajapeya yaaga, many ganga snaana phala by just doing the vanabhojana. Those who does the pradakshine during Balipradana will get saayujya alongwith their pitru devates. If Vanabhojana is not done – he will go to hell.
- Whom to do the pooja during Dhatri Havana?
In the Dhatri Vruksha, we must do the anusandhana of Sri Radha Damodarabhinna Sri Lakshminarayana with the names dhatri, shanti, kaanti, etc. After doing the Dhatri pooja, brahmana – suvasinees must be feeded with yathashakti daana dakshine.
While doing we have to have the shed made up of sugarcane, coconut, mango roots. We must have three peetaas and name them as Vaikunta, Anantasana, Shwethadweepa. In the top floor we must do the pratistapane of Kartika Damodara, who will be there with Sridevi, Bhoodevi and adorned with ornaments, flowers. Do Shodachopachara pooja, etc. The pradhana devate for Dhatri homa are Lakshmiswaroopa 21 devataas viz.,, Dhatri, Shanti, Kanti, Maaya, Prakruti, Vishnupatni, Mahalakshmi, Rama, Kamala, Indira, Lokamaata, KalyaaNi, Mangala, Savitri, Jagaddaatri, Gayatri, Sudhruti, Avyakta, Vishwaroopa, Sri and Abdhitanaya.
Dhatri “ಧಾತ್ರಿ” - The word “Dhatri” refers to “ಧಾರಣ” (Dharana). Srihari is the support of all with his Kurma Rupa. – First it denotes Srihari – Then Mahalakshmi – Then Vayu
Shaanti “”ಶಾಂತಿ” – Shaanti denotes Moksha. Srihari is the bestower of that Moksha and hence he is called as “Shaanti”. By his orders, Moksha can be granted by Mahalakshmi as well as by Vayudevaru. Goddess Lakshmi assumed the form of Shaanti. Srihari has the form of “anirudda” “ಶಾಂತಿಪತಿ ಅನಿರುದ್ಧ”
“Kaanti” “ಕಾಂತಿ” - Srihari is called as Kaanti because he is the brightest person. All bright and illuminating objects get their brightness only from Srihari. Kaanti also means ‘desire’. The desires and orders of Srihari will be fulfilled by Lakshmi and Vayudevaru.
“Maaya” “ಮಾಯ” – Lakshmi assumed the form “maaya” by the command of Srihari. The roopa of husband of Maaya is vaasudeva. “ಮಾಯಪತಿ ವಾಸುದೇವ”. Goddess Maaya assumed three forms, viz., Sri, Bhoo, and Durga.
Prakruti “ಪ್ರಕೃತಿ” - Prakruti is of two kinds . viz., Jada prakruti and Chetana Prakruti. Mahalakshmi is Chetana Prakruti. Srihari enters into Prakruti, and creates the jagat in various ways. Therefore Srihari is called as “Prakruti”.
Gayathri “ಗಾಯತ್ರಿ” - Primarily Gayathri denotes Srihari only. Then it denotes Mahalakshmi
- Medicinal features of Dhatri phala –
From Dhatriphala – DhaatryariShta named medicine will be prepared. Nellikai rasa, honey, sugarcandy will be used to prepare Dhatryarista. From this Paanduroga, jaundice, heart problem, and many other deceases can be cured.
From Dhatriphala – Gojju, Pickles, Chatni, Tokku, Chitranna, nellikai jam can be prepared which are very tasty.
- Birth of Dhatri ?
Once during pralaya period, the entire world was drowned. Brahmadeva was doing the penance to Srihari sitting in Padmapeeta. Pleased with his tapassu, Srihari appeared in front of him. On seeing the apraakruta shareera of Srihari, Brahmadeva felt very happy and rejoiceful tears fell from his eyes. There itself the Dhatri plant grew. As it was the first to born from the anandabhashpa of Brahma it was called as “Adiroha”. As per the orders of Bhagavanta, Brahmadeva did the srusti of vanaspati, people, devates etc.
After the birth of gods, they all came near the Dhatri vruksha which is the most liked by Srihari. At that time there was “Akaashavani” which told that – Dhatri Vruksha is the best amongst all vanaspatees and is the most liked tree for Srihari. By doing the smarana of Dhatri itself, we would have godana phala. By the darshana of Dhatri Vruksha, double the godana phala and by eating nivedita dhatri phala thrice the punya of godana phala. In Dhatrivruksha Sri Vishnu will be in the moola, in the top portion pitamaha will be there, and in the tree branches there will be sannidhana of Rudra, in the flowers Maruttu devates, in the phala prajapatees will be there. In this way, Dhatri is the avasa sthana for all the gods.
- Story regarding Dhatri pooja –
Once there lived a Brahmana named Devasharma near Kaveri basin, who was well versed in Veda, vedanga and was a satkarmanu nista. He had a son who is cruel and never respected the elders and never did the namaskara to any god. He refused to take bath in the river and to do any satkarya during a karthika masa. Getting anger at his son, Devasharma cursed his son to born as a rat. Then he realized his mistake and went to his father to seek pardon. Then the father told him, you will be free from the janma of rat, once you hear the karteeka vratha mahatma. For a long time, the son was staying in a tree as a rat.
Once during Kartika Maasa Vishvamitra Maharshi came there for taking bath alongwith his shishyaas. After taking bath, they kept the pooja box below the dhatri tree and Vishmatraadi maharshi and shishyaas did the pooja of Radha Damodara. Vishwamitra started telling the story of Karteeka Masa Mahatme under the Dhatri tree. At the same time, an hunter came there with the idea of attacking them. But he kept all his weapons aside and started hearing the story. On hearing the story, the rat lost its janma and got the earlier body of a man. He went to Heaven in a aeroplane from the svargaloka. Seeing this, the hunter also felt surprised and fell on the foot of Vishwamitra to save him. The hunter as per the advice of Vishwamitra did the Srihari Dhyana, did the shravana of Kartika Mahime, and got heaven.Four Stages of Vanabhojana - 1. Dhatri Havana 2. Devata Bali 3. Encircling the nelli tree – Vruksha pradakshiNam
4. Prayer for the results -
ದೇವೀ ಧಾತ್ರಿ ನಮಸ್ತುಭ್ಯಂ ಗೃಹಾಣ ಬಲಿಮುತ್ತಮಂ |
ಮಿಶ್ರಿತಂ ಗುಡಸೂಪಾಭ್ಯಾಂ ಸರ್ವಮಂಗಲದಾಯಿನೀ |
ಪುತ್ರಾನ್ ದೇಹಿ ಮಹಾಪ್ರಾಜ್ಞಾನ್ ಯಶೋ ದೇಹಿ ನಿರಂತರಂ |
ಪ್ರಜ್ಞಾಂ ಮೇಧಾಂ ಚ ಸೌಭಾಗ್ಯಂ ವಿಷ್ಣುಭಕ್ತಿಂ ಚ ದೇಹಿ ಮೇ |
ನೀರೋಗಂ ಕುರು ಮಾಂ ನಿತ್ಯಂ ನಿಷ್ಪಾಪಂ ಕುರು ಸರ್ವದಾ |
ಸರ್ವಜ್ಞಂ ಕುರು ಮಾಂ ದೇವಿ ಧನವಂತಂ ತಥಾ ಕುರು |
देवी धात्रि नमस्तुभ्यं गृहाण बलिमुत्तमं ।
मिश्रितं गुडसूपाभ्यां सर्वमंगलदायिनी ।
पुत्रान् देहि महाप्राज्ञान् यशो देहि निरंतरं ।
प्रज्ञां मेधां च सौभाग्यं विष्णुभक्तिं च देहि मे ।
नीरोगं कुरु मां नित्यं निष्पापं कुरु सर्वदा ।
सर्वज्ञं कुरु मां देवि धनवंतं तथा कुरु ।
Among the most important item in Prayer, we must do the prarthana for Vishnubhakthi.
Shri Karteeka Radha Damodara preetyartam |
Sri Madhwantargata Sri Krishnarpanamastu