arthikalpita kalpO&yaM pratyarthi gajakEsarI |
vyaasatIrtha gururbhUyaat asmadiShthaartha siddayE |
ಅರ್ಥಿಕಲ್ಪಿತ ಕಲ್ಪೋಽಯಂ ಪ್ರತ್ಯರ್ಥಿ ಗಜಕೇಸರೀ |
ವ್ಯಾಸತೀರ್ಥ ಗುರುರ್ಭೂಯಾತ್ ಅಸ್ಮದಿಷ್ಥಾರ್ಥ ಸಿದ್ದಯೇ |
అర్థికల్పిత కల్పోఽయం ప్రత్యర్థి గజకేసరీ |
వ్యాసతీర్థ గురుర్భూయాత్ అస్మదిష్థార్థ సిద్దయే |
Sri Vyasarajaru in Simhasana
Krishnadevaraya – Sri Vyasarajaru was the raja guru for Krishnadevaraya and the seer protected not only the King but also the entire kingdom with his advice. Kuhu yoga parihara – Once Krishnadevaraya had Kuhu yoga. Sri Vyasarajaru, noticing that the kingdom is in trouble, asked the king to donate to Vyasarajaru, who ruled the state before the kuhuyoga period and during the period. When the Kuhuyoga came in the form of Krishna sarpa, he kept his kaavi on the simhasana which was burnt into ashes. Then after the Kuhuyoga period was over, the very next day itself, he asked the king to take back his kingdom. King Krishnadevaraya was reluctant to take back the kingdom, as he himself had donated the same to Sri Vyasarajaru, which would amount to Dattapahara dosha. But Sri Vyasarajaru insisted and ordered him to take back, so he took it.
Sri Vyasarajaru visited Udupi and had the privilege of doing the pooja of Krishna paramathma
Yantroddaraka pranadevaru –
Once Sri Vyasarajaru was after taking snaana, was doing japa near Chakratirtha. Vayudevaru came in the disguise of monkey and told him to do the pratistapane of mukyaprana. Once a monkey jumped out of the big rock near Chakratirtha. It happened several times, each time it was disappearing. Then Sri Vyasarajaru wrote Pranadevaru off Angara on the rock. Immediately a monkey jumped out of the rock where Vyasarajaru did the drawing of Hanuma . Again it jumped.
He did it 12 times, each time, the monkey jumped out of the rock. Then he wrote Shatkona and one circle in that area covering the angara hanuma and he did 3 crore bheejakshara mantra japa and gave special sannidhana for the Vigraha. As such, it is famous as Yantroddaraka Hanuma.
Chennai Navavrundavana Mruttika
Abboor Mruttika Vrundavana
Different avataraas of Shankunarna –
- Prahladaraja as son of Hiranyakashipu – gave the tatva of Navavidha bhakthi through Shravana, Keerthana, Vandana, etc and gave us the special avatara of Narasimhadevaru, who came off a pillar, to prove that Srihari is not having any parents and killed Hiranyakashipu, a “Ahambrahmasmi” pratipadaka.
- Baahlika Raja – Born as son of Prateeparaja in Kuruvamsha, and as elder brother of Shantanu. But he was given to Bahlika kingdom to his maatamaha as per putrikaputranyaya. During Kurukshetra war, he joined Kauravaas and had to fight with Pandavaas and finally he was killed by Bheemasena devaru.
- Vyasarajaru – Born as yathi to give us many granthaas for Madhwa Philosophy. It is because of Vyasarajaru through his Nyayamrutha, Tarkatandava, etc., even today none of the Advaitha vidwans are able to attack Madhwa Philosophy.
- Rayaru – Again born as Yathi and through his miracles and granthas did the anugraha to thousands of devotees.
Birth of Sri Vyasarajaru – His parents didn’t had any issues. They were blessed with the anugraha of Sri Brahmanya Tirtharu at a very old age. The child was born without bhoo sparsha in the golden plate sent by Sri Brahmanya Tirtharu.
Education – Earlier education was held at Abboor by Sri Brahmanya Tirtharu. Then after some time, Sri Brahmanya Tirtharu suggested him to go to Sri Sripadarajaru for higher education.
Baala sanyasa – Sri Vyasarajaru was given ashrama in Brahmacharya itself.
Defeated Advaitha pundits at Kanchi – In his very age itself he defeated many pundits in Kanchi. During his early period Kanchi was a famous university for Vedanta Studies, many scholars were there. When Vyasarajaru entered there, many had seen his scholarly works and they asked him to define Madhwa Siddantha.
LIFE HISTORY OF VYASARAJARU :
Stotras by Vyasarajaru :
Defeated Advaitha pundits at Kanchi – In his very age itself he defeated many pundits in Kanchi. During his early period Kanchi was a famous university for Vedanta Studies, many scholars were there. When Vyasarajaru entered there, many had seen his scholarly works and they asked him to define Madhwa Siddantha. Sri Vyasarajaru defined the same as follows :
Hari: paratara: – Srihari is sarvottama. There is no one superior to him. There are so many references which proves that Srihari is the only Sarvottama. Some of the shlokaas are :
Satyam jagat – This world is Satya – true. Veda vaakya says “विश्वं सत्यं मघवानौ” . That is why Acharya Madhwa says “बहुचित्र जगत् बहुधा करणात् परशक्ति अनंतगुण: परम” | There is not even a single sentence which says that Jagat is mithya.
Tattvata: bhEda: – svabhaavata: there is a difference between Chetana and achetana, bedha in jeevaas, jadaas, time, place, moola prakruti, – every where there is bedha. “Dwaitha” and “Bedha” are two paryaya words. Only if we agree Bedha, then only there will be prominence for Harisarvottamatva, Jagatsatyatva, Taratamya, etc. JeevagaNaa: harEranucharaa: – Even though Chetanas are different from Jadaas, they are not svatantra. Without Srihari’s ashraya no one can survive. All are like the shadows of Srihari only. Whatever we do i.e., walking, seeing, listening, all we are doing with the asvatantra, i.e., adheenathwa of Srihari only.
Neechochcha bhaavangataa : – Right from the truna jeeva to Chaturmukha brahma, all have different gunaas. There is taratamya in svaroopa, svabhaava, some are eligible for Vaikunta padavi, some for nitya naraka, some have sukha + dukha mishrana.
mukthi: naija suKaanubhUti: – Whatever we are having as sukha through our daihika sambandha is not real. Svaroopa bootanandanubhava is the mukthi for saathvikas. amalaa bhakthishcha tatsaadanam – महत्व ज्ञान पूर्वस्तु सुदृड: सर्वतोधिक: । स्नेहो हि भक्तिरिति प्रोक्त: तया मुक्तिर्नयाचान्यत:।|| MBTN|| Bhakthi is superior to all. It should be mahatma gjnana poorvaka, sudhruda. Depending on their yogyata learning the mahime of Srihari, pure bhakthi is the only sadhana for mukthi. As per Vadiraja Tirtha’s Rukminisha vijaya – “भक्तो नाम स एव य: करगते कृष्णेपि वेदोदितं तत्कर्माचरत् ।”. Dwesha is not a sadhana for Mukthi. Navavidha Dweshaas –
- Thinking of abedha between Jeeva – Paramathma
- Counting Gunaas in Bhagavan
- Thinking of saamya with other devataas
- Thinking of superiority of other devataas above Bhagavantha
- Seeing Bedha in paramathma’s gunakriya, avayava
- Seeing difference between Bhagavan’s avataraa roopa, thinking of birth-death on Bhagavan.
- Dwesha of Bhagavad Bhaktaas
- Nindana of satpramana which tells about Bhagavantha.
If we does not have any of the above mentioned dwesha, it can be considered as Bhakthi. Different types of Bhaktaas as per Bhagavadgeeta –
- Arta bhakta – One who prays Bhagavan only in time of need.
- Jignasu bhakta – One who gets yatartha jnaana of Srihari with jignasa.
- Arthaarthi Bhakta – One who wants aihika bhoga and who thinks that Ishavasyamidam sarvam, and asks for bhakthi.
- Jnaani bhakta – One who sees the jnaanaanandamaya idol of srihari, having known of his mahime, who does the nirvyaja bhakthi.
Out of the four, Jnaani bhakta is shresta. akshyaadi tritayam pramaaNam – pratyaksha, pramaaNa and aagama are the only three pramaanas. aKilaamnaayaika vEdyO hari: – all vedaas say about Srihari only. All vedaas mukyataha doing pratipaadane of Srihari. Because he will be the antaryaami and does every thing sitting in them. In this way, Srivyasarajaru, explained what is there in Madhwamatha in a single shloka. He got the anugraha of Padmanabha Tirtharu, who came in the disguise of a snake. 732 mukya prana pratiste by Vyasarajaru –
Once when he was in Mulbagilu, he got a dream, wherein he saw Mukyapranadevaru, who was shown as 732 Mukyaprana idols. So, he thought of doing pratiste of 732 mukyaprana idols all over the country. Some of the mukyaprana idols which he has done the pratistapane are :
In penagonda itself, he did the pratiste of 365 mukyaprana devaru on all the days of the year. In Adavani district, we can see 109 idols, Mulbagilu, Alasuru, Kolara, Kengal Hanumantha, Erode, Bhavani, Salem, Yelahanka, Kakolu, Rajanakunte, Santebidanuru, Channapatna, Brahmanyapura, Maddur, Mandya, Bannur, T Narasipura, Nanjanagud, Mysore, Satyamangala, etc.
Purandaradasaru – He gave daasa deekshe to Purandaradasaru, who was famous as navakoti narayana. He honoured his devaranamas by keeping them next to Sarvamoola granthas by calling them as “Purandaropanishat”. This made Sri Purandaradasaru to compose lakhs of devaranamas which are Harisarvottamatva and Vayujeevottamatva pradhipaadaka.
KANAKADASARU – Even though Kanakadasaru was born in a lower caste, he was offering Theertha, as he knows his jeeva yogyate, he respected his devaranamaas.
Tirupati pooje for 12 years – When Tirupathi Venkatesha temple archakas started using the property, jewels of Venkatesha for themselves, the King Salva Bhoopala killed all the archakas and there was no one for the pooje at Tirupathi. As such, Srivyasarajaru did the pooja of Tirupathi Timmappa for 12 years, till one of the Archaka’s wife deliver a child and after getting the child brahmopanayana, he handed over the pooja adhikara to the child once again. It is the Sri Vyasaraja’s unselfishness only that he handed over the pooja power to that family once again. Otherwise, that pooja power would have been with Madhwas only.
Sri Vyasaraja’s Granthas –
- Tatparya Chandrike
- Tarka Tandavam
- Tatvaviveka Mandara manjari
- Mayavada Kandana Mandara Manjari
- Upadhikandana Mandara Manjari
- Prapancha Mithyaatvaanumaanakandana Mandaramanjari
- Tattvaviveka Mandara Manjari
- Srikrishna mangalastakam
- Srinivasa Stotram
- Prameya Navamaalika
- Yantroddaraka Stotra
- Sripadaraja Panchamalika Stotra
- Brahmanya Tirtha pancharatnamaalika Stotra
- Sattarka Vilasa
- Vaayustuti punsacharana vidhi
- Hanumatsamprokshana vidhi
- Vedanta sangraha Khandana
(Source – Animation drawings by Vaidya Srinivas Acharya)