Shayani Ekadashi – Prathamaikadashi
Click – Gopichandana Dharana Vidhi
Click : Gopichandana Dharana Vidhi (Kannada)
- Who must have Tapta mudradharana?
Ans : It applies to all caste, all ashrama, and ladies. All Vishnu bhaktaas irrespective of Caste whether it is Brahmin, Kshatriya, Vaishya, Shoodra, all must have Tapta Mudradharana from Vaishnava only. Even the cattle in our house must have Tapta Mudradharana.
2. When one must have Tapta Mudradharana?
Ans : During Jaatakarma, Choula, Upanayana samskara, marriage, and on each day Prathama Ekadashi day. It is just like renewal of Vaishnava Deekshe., Other important days on which Tapta Mudradharana to be taken are : Shravana Dwadashi Upavasa day; Bhadrapada Shukla Ekadashi, Karthika Shukla Ekadashi; Upakarma day.
3. Whether gods also must have Tapta Mudradharana?
Ans : Yes. They too must have Tapta Mudradharana on Shravana Dwadashi, Prathama Ekadashi day – as per Yukti Mallika
4. Whether Gruhastaas can give Tapta Mudradharana?
Ans – No. Gruhastaas are not eligible to give Tapta Mudradharana. Those Gruhastaas who take Tapta Mudradharana themselves will not get any punya. It is just like Poundrika Vasudeva who got Mudra just to resemble Krishna, in vain. – Ramamruta Maharnava
5. When was the system of Tapta Mudradharana started?
Ans – Once All gods including Indra were defeated by Vrutrasura. They went to Srihari and prostrated for help. Srihari told “Let all of you have Chakra Shanka symbol and fight with him. Just with the mudradharana all Vrutradi daithyaas would be killed and you will win”. All gods followed Srihari’s directions and they won. Since then onwards, all Vaishnavaas started having Mudradharana as it helps in win over enemies, it helps in winning Kama-krodhadhi arishadvarga. – Source Padmapurana.
6. Why one must have Taptamudradharane?
Ans : Tapta Mudradharane is the “Vaishnavathva” symbol. Tapta mudradharane has a prominent place in Madhwa philosophy. In harivamsha – During Krishnavatara, Srikrishna had ordered that only those who have Mudradarane can enter Dwarake. Because of wearing Mudradharane – Power of Tamoguna – ajnaana, mithyaagnaana, will be removed, and through Shanka – Sathvaguna will be replacing tamoguna.
7. Chakra- Shanka – abhimani devate :
For Chakra – Durgadevi; Shanka- Sridevi; Padma – Boodevi; Gada – Vayu.
8. From whom one has to take Tapta Mudradharana?
ಲೋಭ್ಯಾಧ್ಯುಪಾದಿನಾ ವಾಪಿ ಯಸ್ಮಾತ್ ಕಸ್ಮಾಚ್ಚ ಪೂರುಷಾತ್ |
ಸ್ವಯಂ ವಾಪಿ ದಹೇದ್ಗಾತ್ರಂ ಚಕ್ರಶಂಖಾದಿಕೈರಪಿ |
ಸೋಪಿ ವ್ರಜೇತ ನಿರಯಂ ಸಾಕಂ ಸ್ವಗುರುಣಾ ಚಿರಂ |
लोभ्याध्युपादिना वापि यस्मात् कस्माच्च पूरुषात् ।
स्वयं वापि दहेद्गात्रं चक्रशंखादिकैरपि ।
सोपि व्रजेत निरयं साकं स्वगुरुणा चिरं ।
lObhyaadhyupaadinaa vaapi yasmaat kasmaachcha pUruShaat |
svayaM vaapi dahEdgaatraM chakrashaMKaadikairapi |
sOpi vrajEta nirayaM saakaM svaguruNaa chiraM |
One has to get Tapta Mudradharana from their respective Mutt Yathi only. As per Vishnu Rahasya shloka vyaakyana. It is observed from various Pandits of various mutts, that even though they have studied under various Mutt yathees, but they have taken Mudradharana from their respective mutt yathi only. Some of the example are :
- Pandurangi Anandabhattarakaru even after defeating many pundits and handing over the “jayapatra” (win certificate) to Vadirajaru, he got mudradharana from Uttaradimutt yathi only.
- Srikrishnavadootharu, even thouth he was one of the prominent bhakthaa of Raghavendra Tirtharu, his family members are getting mudradharana from Uttaradimutt yathi only.
- Even though, Sri Bidarahalli Srinivasaachar got the title “Tirtha” from Rayaru, he was getting Mudradharana from Uttaradimutt yathi only.
- LinGeri Acharyaru was the shishya of Yadavaryaru of UM parampare, but, he used to get Mudradharana from Raghavendra Mutt yathi only.
There is another opinion – we can take mudradharana from any yathigalu, when we are in a far off place where no yathi will come for mudradharana or you are not in a position to go to his place.
There is another opinion – We can take mudra from our gurugalu also, when there is no chance of getting mudradharana from your Mutt peetadhipathi.
In view of the above. even though one must take mudradharana from the respective mutt yathi only. But taking mudra from other mutt pontiffs is also accepted as better to have mudra instead of not having it at all.
9. Sri Vadiraja Tirtha quotes in his Yuktimallika : – Mudradharana will be given by Acharya Madhwa only. In Agni he will be agninamaka and gives Sudarshana and shanka Tapta Mudradharana. There will be sannidhana of Acharya Madhwa in the Madhwa Yathi on this day.
10. Sudarshana Homa on Ashada Shukla Ekadashi –
On Ekadashi day, there is no provision for annadana, jaladaana, and no havissu for gods. But on Ashada Shukla Ekadashi day, Sudarshana Homa to be done with chanting of Mantra only. Only Vishnu to be invited for the homa.
11. Importance of Mudradharana – some quotes :
- Those who scolds/disrespects the one with Mudradharana, would be getting the sin of disrespecting/scolding Srihari.
- One who does not have Taptamudradharana will not have Vedadyana adhikara.
- Even during antya samskara time also Tapta mudradharana to be done (by Mudradharana) which will remove the fear of Yama and his servants.
- We should invite for Bhojana only those who has Mudra, lest it should be bhojana for pitru with mala mootra.
- As per Vamana Purana – the one who wears Sudarshana Chakra Mudra even for playing would get Vishnu loka
- As per Shivapurana – All those who are singing, praying the mahima of Srihari would be having Mudra.
- As per Skanda purana – One who has Chakradi ayudhaas, even if he has done so many sins, Yama will not come near him. The shareera which has Shanka-Chakra will be the home for gods.
- As per Padmapurana – Uttarakhanda quote – Shiva told Parvathi “Those who have agnitapta Vishnuchakra would be a Mahatmya.
- As per Markandeya Purana – Tapta Mudharana indicates the relationship between Srihari and us. It is similar to ladies wearing bangles, kumkuma, etc as the symbol of “muthaide”. Similarly those who have mudra would be recognized as “Vaishnava”.
- As per Matsyapurana – Vishnubhakta should have Chakra to his right shoulder and Shanka to his left shoulder, which would fetch him Vishnuloka.
- As per Skanda Purana – Even shoodras who possess Shanka Chakra symbol would get Svarga.
- Kanyadaana to be done only for one who has Mudradharana.
- As per Smruti muktavali – One who does sandhyavandana, japa, homa, etc with Ordhwapundra dharana, – he will not get any punya. Entire punya would be taken away by raakshasas.
12. Tapta mudradharana Mahatva can be found in various Granthaas:-
“Skanda Purana”, “Vishnu Rahasya”, “Padma Purana”, “Sanaka Smruti”, “Chakrastuthi” of Sri Vadirajaru, “Yukthimallika-Phalisaurabha” of Srivadirajaru, “Taptachakra meemamsa” by Sri Vijayeendraru, “Ramamruta Maharnava” by Satyabhinava Tirtharu, “Smrutyartha sagara” by Chalari Narasimhacharya; “Smruti Muktavali” by Krishnacharya, “Nirnaya RAtna” by Chalari Sheshacharya, “Tapta mudradharana samarthanam” – Kundalagiri Acharyaru, “Vaishnava Deekshe” by Sagri Raghavendra Upadhyaya,
13. Mantras to be chanted while applying –
Chakra Mudra –
sudarshana mahaajwaala koTisooryasamaprabha |
ajnaanaaMdhasya mE nityaM viShNOrmaargaM pradarshaya |
सुदर्शन महाज्वाल कॊटिसूर्यसमप्रभ ।
अज्ञानांधस्य मे नित्यं विष्णोर्मार्गं प्रदर्शय ।
ಸುದರ್ಶನ ಮಹಾಜ್ವಾಲ ಕೊಟಿಸೂರ್ಯಸಮಪ್ರಭ |
ಅಜ್ಞಾನಾಂಧಸ್ಯ ಮೇ ನಿತ್ಯಂ ವಿಷ್ಣೋರ್ಮಾರ್ಗಂ ಪ್ರದರ್ಶಯ |
Hey Sudarshana | You possess mahajwaale which is equivalent to crores of Suryaa’s power. I am a blind with ajnaana. Please guide me with Vishnu maarga.
Shanka Mudra :-
पांचजन्य निजध्वान ध्वस्तपातक संचय ।
त्राहिमां पापिनां घोरसंसारार्णव पातिनं ।
ಪಾಂಚಜನ್ಯ ನಿಜಧ್ವಾನ ಧ್ವಸ್ತಪಾತಕ ಸಂಚಯ |
ತ್ರಾಹಿಮಾಂ ಪಾಪಿನಾಂ ಘೋರಸಂಸಾರಾರ್ಣವ ಪಾತಿನಂ |
paaMchajanya nijadhwaana dhvastapaataka saMchaya |
traahimaaM paapinaaM GOrasaMsaaraarNava paatinaM |
hey | Paanchajanya shanka | With your voice, you would remove the entire group of sins. Lift me from the fear of samsara saagara.
Gadaa Mudra :-
ಬ್ರಹ್ಮಾಂಡ ಭುವನಾರಂಭ ಮೂಲಸ್ಥಂಭೋ ಗದಾಧರ: |
ಕೌಮೋದಕೀ ಕರೇ ಯಸ್ಯ ತಂ ನಮಾಮಿ ಗದಾಧರಂ |
ब्रह्मांड भुवनारंभ मूलस्थंभो गदाधर: ।
कौमोदकी करे यस्य तं नमामि गदाधरं ।
brahmaaMDFa bhuvanaaraMbha mUlasthaMbhO gadaadhara: |
kaumOdakI karE yasya taM namaami gadaadharaM |
Srimaha Vishnu is the source or foundation for the Brahmaanda named entire world. You hold Kaumodaki gadha in your hand. With the smarana of Gadadara, we do the smarana of Gadaa mudra.
Padma Mudra –
संसारभयभीतानां योगिनां अभयप्रद: ।
पद्महस्तेन यो देवो योगीशं तं नमाम्यहं ।
ಸಂಸಾರಭಯಭೀತಾನಾಂ ಯೋಗಿನಾಂ ಅಭಯಪ್ರದ: |
ಪದ್ಮಹಸ್ತೇನ ಯೋ ದೇವೋ ಯೋಗೀಶಂ ತಂ ನಮಾಮ್ಯಹಂ |
saMsaarabhayabhItaanaaM yOginaaM abhayaprada: |
padmahastEna yO dEvO yOgIshaM taM namaamyahaM |
Srihari is abhayaprada for all yogees and samsarabhayabheetaas. Srihari holds Padma and he is yogeesha Narayana Mudra
ನಾರಾಯಣ ನಮಸ್ತೇಸ್ತು ನಾಮಮುದ್ರಾಂಕಿತಂ ನರಂ |
ದೃಷ್ಟೈವ ಲಭತೇ ಮುಕ್ತಿಂ ಚಂಡಾಲೋ ಬ್ರಹ್ಮಘಾತಕ: |
नारायण नमस्तेस्तु नाममुद्रांकितं नरं ।
दृष्टैव लभते मुक्तिं चंडालो ब्रह्मघातक: ।
naaraayaNa namastEstu naamamudraaMkitaM naraM |
dRuShTaiva labhatE muktiM chaMDaalO brahmaGaataka: |
Hey Narayana | with the naarayana named mudra even brahmahatya doshi Chaandala also would be free from his sins.
Sri Purandaradasaru says about Taptachankritata –
ಅಂಕಿತವಿಲ್ಲದ ದೇಹ ನಿಷೇದ ಅಂಕಿತವಿಲ್ಲದ ಕಾವ್ಯ ಶೋಭಿಸದು |
ಅಂಕಿತವಿಲ್ಲದೆ ಇರಬಾರದೆಂದು ಚಕ್ರಾಂಕಿತವನ್ನು ಮಾಡಿ ಎನ್ನಂಗಕೆ
ಪಂಕಜನಾಭ ಶ್ರೀಪುರಂದರವಿಠಲನ ಅಂಕಿತವೆನಗಿತ್ತ ಗುರುವ್ಯಾಸ ಮುನಿರಾಯ |
अंकितविल्लद देह निषेद अंकितविल्लद काव्य शोभिसदु ।
अंकितविल्लदॆ इरबारदॆंदु चक्रांकितवन्नु माडि ऎन्नंगकॆ
पंकजनाभ श्रीपुरंदरविठलन अंकितवॆनगित्त गुरुव्यास मुनिराय ।
aMkitavillada dEha niShEda aMkitavillada kaavya shObhisadu |
aMkitavillade irabaaradeMdu chakraaMkitavannu maaDi ennaMgake
paMkajanaabha shrIpuraMdaraviThalana aMkitavenagitta guruvyaasa muniraaya |
Sri Satyabhinava Tirtharu on “Tapta Mudradharana”
Paramapoojya praata: smaraNIya shrI satyaabhinava tIrtha Sripadangalavaru in his “raamaamruta mahaarNava” has written like this
चक्रं भिभर्ति वपुशाऽभितप्तं बलं देवानां अमृतस्य विष्णो: ।
स एति लोकं दुरिता विधूय विशंति यद्यतयो वीतरागा: ।
ಚಕ್ರಂ ಭಿಭರ್ತಿ ವಪುಶಾಽಭಿತಪ್ತಂ ಬಲಂ ದೇವಾನಾಂ ಅಮೃತಸ್ಯ ವಿಷ್ಣೋ: |
ಸ ಏತಿ ಲೋಕಂ ದುರಿತಾ ವಿಧೂಯ ವಿಶಂತಿ ಯದ್ಯತಯೋ ವೀತರಾಗಾ: |
chakraM bhibharti vapusha abhitaptaM balaM dEvaanaaM amRutasya viShNO: |
sa Eti lOkaM duritaa vidhUya vishaMti yadyatayO vItaraagaa: | shl no 81|
This is a quote from Atharvana shruti |
meaning – Srihari is the mightiest and he is the one who gives the “bala or power” for the devataas. Chakra of Sriman mahaaviShnu, to be heated and applied on our body. One who gets the Chakra on his body, will be free from all the sins and he will get the “loka” wherein yatis enters.
ಚಕ್ರಮಾದಾಯಾಗ್ನೌತಾಪ್ಯ ಬ್ರಾಹ್ಮಣಸ್ಯ ದಕ್ಷಿಣೇ ಬಾಹೌ ಧಾರಯೇತ್ | ಉಪವಿಶತಿ |
ಪಾಂಚಜನ್ಯಮಾದಾಯಾಗ್ನೌತಾಪ್ಯ ಬ್ರಾಹ್ಮಣಸ್ಯೋತ್ತರೇ ಬಾಹೌ ಧಾರಯೇತ್ | ಶ್ಲೋಕ ಸಂ ೮೨ |
चक्रमादायाग्नौताप्य ब्राह्मणस्य दक्षिणे बाहौ धारयेत् । उपविशति ।
पांचजन्यमादायाग्नौताप्य ब्राह्मणस्योत्तरे बाहौ धारयेत् । श्लोक सं ८२ ।
chakramaadaayaagnoutaapya braahmaNasya dakShiNE baahou dhaarayEt |
upavishati | paaMchajanyamaadaayaagnoutaapya braahmaNasyOttarE
baahou dhaarayEt | shloka no 82 |
This is also from atharvana shrutyantara vachana |
The guru, will apply the chakra on the right shoulders, after getting it heated in the “agni”. Similarly he will apply the shanka on the left shoulders, after getting it heated in the “agni”.
तप्तं चक्रं च द्विभुजे धार्यं यत् त्वनिशं त्विति ।
ತಪ್ತಂ ಚಕ್ರಂ ಚ ದ್ವಿಭುಜೇ ಧಾರ್ಯಂ ಯತ್ ತ್ವನಿಶಂ ತ್ವಿತಿ |
taptaM chakraM chadvibhujE dhaaryaM yat tvanishaM tviti | shloka no 83 |
meaning – Heated chakra to be applied on both the shoulders. This gives the meaning that the chakra to be applied on both the shoulders.
That is why in Uttaradimutt, they are following pancha mudra system, wherein they are applying on their body and on the shoulders as well.
- “Vaishnavadeekshe” by Sri Sagri Raghavendra Upadhyaya,
- “Ramamrutra Maharnava” vyakyana by Sri Vyasanakere Prabhanjanacharya
- “Tapta Mudradharana” by Sri Vyasanakere Prabhanjanacharya